Sunday, February 8, 2009

Love of God, Love of Spouse, Similar Process / Lloyd


newlyweds


When we start out as newlyweds we proceed with hope and faith in the process of marriage, often based on the desirable relationships we've witnessed in the lives of others, often our parents’ lives.



faith, to be faith

In another but similar context Elder Boyd K. Packer explains the process of coming to know and love God:


Faith, to be faith, must center around something that is not known. Faith, to be faith, must go beyond that for which there is confirming evidence. Faith, to be faith, must go into the unknown. Faith, to be faith, must walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness. If everything has to be known, if everything has to be explained, if everything has to be certified, then there is no need for faith. Indeed, there is no room for it. (Mine Errand from the Lord,2008, p 61)

insight into developing love


Judy, my wife, often points out that love is not so much an ethereal feeling towards someone as it is concrete action on their behalf--caring service, e.g., doing the dishes. 

“Do you love me” from Fiddler on the Roof (lyrics by Sheldon Hamick) offers a view into the process of developing love:


(Tevye)
Do you love me?


(Golde)
Do I what?


(Tevye)
Do you love me?


(Golde)
Do I love you?
With our daughters getting married
And this trouble in the town
You're upset, you're worn out
Go inside, go lie down!
Maybe it's indigestion


(Tevye)
"Golde I'm asking you a question..."
Do you love me?


(Golde)
You're a fool


(Tevye)
"I know..."


But do you love me?


(Golde)
Do I love you?
For twenty-five years I've washed your clothes
Cooked your meals, cleaned your house
Given you children, milked the cow
After twenty-five years, why talk about love right now?


(Tevye)
Golde, The first time I met you
Was on our wedding day
I was scared


(Golde)
I was shy


(Tevye)
I was nervous


(Golde)
So was I


(Tevye)
But my father and my mother
Said we'd learn to love each other
And now I'm asking, Golde
Do you love me?


(Golde)
I'm your wife


(Tevye)
"I know..."
But do you love me?


(Golde)
Do I love him?
For twenty-five years I've lived with him
Fought him, starved with him
Twenty-five years my bed is his
If that's not love, what is?


(Tevye)
Then you love me?


(Golde)
I suppose I do


(Tevye)
And I suppose I love you too


(Both)
It doesn't change a thing
But even so
After twenty-five years
It's nice to know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Have a Baby / Lloyd

I was a graduate student at Yeshiva University on a fellowship with a living stipend that included my wife and children. We had two daughter...