And now I was inspired by MaryRuth's recipe for a good chicken dish so here are a couple of my own. This first one came about when Lloyd and I went for lunch at the Fat Cat cafe. With the fries they brought a bottle of malt vinegar and this recipe was on the back of it. It has a Caribbean taste--something a little different:
1. Drain 1 large can of sliced peaches, reserve juice.
2. Brown boneless, skinless chicken pieces in 1 Tbsp. oil.
3. Combine peach juice, 1/4 cup frozen orange juice (thawed), 1/4 cup malt vinegar, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. basil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. each ground cloves and cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. pepper and pour over chicken.
4. Cover, simmer for 30 min.
5. Add peaches, heat through.
6. Combine 2 Tbsp. each cornstarch and water, stir into pan. Heat, stirring till thickened.
7. Serve over rice.
CROCK POT ASIAN CHICKEN
1. In skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil, add boneless, skinless chicken pieces and brown on both sides.
2. Tranfer the chicken to crockpot and add: 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger. Stir thoroughly.
3. Cover, cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. In the middle of cooking, stir to coat the chicken. When done, remove chicken and reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine this with 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce, and 1 Tbsp. lime juice and drizzle over chicken.
4. Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
5. Serve over rice.